Frequently Asked Questions

Many enquiries can be answered through the pages of this website and also the publications which are sent to new members.

Show all / Hide all

fold faq

A payment to the Society? This is how you do it!

When you send in paperwork such as Registration Certificate, passport and Transfer of Ownership form, it is helpful to enclose an appropriate cheque payable to the Highland Pony Society.

Alternatively you can pay by PayPal direct to the Society’s account making sure you note what the payment relates to.

You can also make a direct payment into the Society’s Account –

Sort code: 83 47 00

Account number: 00177837

Please make sure you record to what the payment relates.

fold faq

At what age does my colt need to be licensed as a stallion for me to show him?

All competing Highland pony stallions in affiliated shows (In Hand, Ridden, WHP etc) aged 4yrs and over must be licensed with the Highland Pony Society.

fold faq

Can I register my pony which is not a Highland with you?

No, you need to go to the Society of the breed which your pony is or if it is of no specific breed go to a commercial passport issuing authority to simply have a passport made.

fold faq

Do colts/unlicensed stallions need to be licensed to be shown?

All competing Highland pony stallions in affiliated shows (ridden and in hand) aged 4yrs and over must be licensed with the HPS. Full information about licensing colts is given here:

fold faq

Does my pony need to be microchipped?

With effect from October 2020 for ponies kept in England and March 2021 for those in Scotland, it will be a legal requirement for them to be microchipped. This will affect ponies registered before 2009. Microchips will be supplied and inserted by your vet who will apply the barcode to the relevant area on the passport then sign and stamp adjacent to it.

Please email the Society informing them of the microchip number. The pony's record will be updated and the Central Equine Database informed by the Society. There is no need to send the passport to the Society.

fold faq

Does the Society have a Complaints and Disciplinary Procedure?

Any complaints should be made in writing by post or email in the first instance to the Highland Pony Society Secretary.

  1. You will receive written acknowledgement by post or email by return.
  2. You will receive written confirmation by post or email within 15 days advising you how the complaint will be dealt with.
  3. You will receive written confirmation of the outcome and this shall include the procedure to appeal that outcome.


fold faq

How can I check microchip numbers for ponies?

The Society contributes data to 'Chipchecker' to assist enforcement agencies and welfare organisation in tracing equines. Microchip numbers can be checked on this link:

fold faq

How can I find out about classes for Highland ponies at shows in my area?

The Spring/Summer Members’ Newsletter gives information on all shows affiliated to the Society.

Information on other shows can be found through local knowledge and equestrian magazines.

fold faq

How can I return to the home page easily from any point of the website?

Click on the top purple panel of any page and you will be brought back the home page.

fold faq

How much does it cost to become a member?

Membership – Adult                                                 £ 25.00
Membership – Junior (under 18yrs on 1 January)    £ 12.50
Membership – Life                                                    £350.00
Joining fee (not applicable to Junior members
and those paying by standing order)                        £ 10.00

fold faq

I am making show entries and my pony doesn’t seem to have the 15 digit passport number they are asking for.

When passport numbering was introduced, there was no requirement for retrospective numbering, so for older ponies, simply quote the Stud Book number in your entry.

If you would like a Universal Equine Life Number for your pony, please phone or email the Secretary and one will be allocated right way.

fold faq

I have a coloured cob. Can the Highland Pony Society make him a passport?

No, the Society can only make passports for registered Highland ponies and part-breds and also ponies which you declare are of ‘Highland Type

fold faq

I have just bought a Highland Pony and it has no Registration Certificate. Can it be transferred into my name?

All Highland ponies are issued with a Registration Certificate and passport at registration. It is not possible to transfer ownership without both documents. You should make every effort to ensure that you receive a Registration Certificate along with the passport from the Seller.

If the Registration Certificate is lost, an application has to be made to the Council of the Society who will investigate the circumstances thoroughly. If approval for the issue of duplicate papers is given, there is a fee of £50 (members' rate) and £100 (non members' rate).



fold faq

I'm moving house!

Please inform the Society of your new address in order that the database can be updated. It is difficult to change breeder records on laminated pages of passports and, in this case, simply put a note in the back pocket of your ponies’ passports noting both your former and current address, the date of the change and then sign it.  

fold faq

If I need a duplicate passport, do I have to redraw my pony again?

If the original HPS passport was made after 1997, there should be no requirement to complete a further outline diagram as the Society will have the original application.

Your pony will however require to be microchipped in order for a duplicate passport to be prepared. 

fold faq

I’ve lost my pony’s passport and need a duplicate, do I have to have my pony microchipped?

There is no requirement to have him micro-chipped if he was identified for his previous passport.

fold faq

My older registered Highland pony has a commercial passport. How can I get a Highland pony one?

You need to go to the original passport issuing authority and have that passport ‘rescinded’. They will then send any marked papers to the Society for inclusion in the new HPS passport. You need to complete a passport application form and send it to the Society with a £20 payment.

fold faq

What do I do if I want to take my pony out of the human food chain at the time of death?

You should sign Section 2 part 2 to indicate that the pony described in the passport is not intended for slaughter for human consumption. Under EU law, you are then required to inform the Society (by email or phone) within 14 days of signing this section.

fold faq

What do I do with the passport and registration certificate if my pony dies?

It is a legal requirement to return the papers to the Society within 30 days of the death. See item 14 (3) on this link:

If a longer time has elapsed, please send them to the Society. There will be no penalty for late submissions. 

If you wish the papers to be returned to you, please enclose five 2nd class stamps.

fold faq

What happens if I am judging at a show and my own ponies are being shown?

Judges should not accept judging appointments and exhibit their ponies at the same show.